I have some random things to talk about, so here goes. First of all, I have to brag about our latest trash to treasure find. My friend at mom's group laughs at me for all of the things I buy at goodwill, but seriously, I get just as much satisfaction at my new clothes if they are used, and Mia does too, so that is just where we shop. Anyhow, even better than second hand cheap is second hand free, and that is exactly what we found one of those blue baby little tykes swings for. It is bulk collection week here in Austin so everyone has there big trash that they have been saving in their garage or yard out by the street. It is the perfect time to drive around trash shopping, but going for a jog makes it less conspicuous. So anyhow, we were jogging by and saw this great swing out by the street, so we picked it up and balanced it in the stroller for the jog home, and now we have a baby swing! and I was just thinking about buying one, but they are $25 at Walmart and we are trying to not buy anything retail this month. Yippie! Let's see, funny Mia conversation of the week: we are in the car and she is asking why about everything she sees, which is normal, but then we start asking the whys of anatomy which is quite fun. So her questions were, "Why we are so bendy?" "Why we have skin?" "Why we have teeth?" "Why we have tongues?" (to which I responded, to talk, but then she thinks and says, "but Eleanor has a tongue. why she cannot talk?"), then we have the "why my hands are still so small but I am so big?" and "Why my feet are so small too?" questions which I just love. If I respond that it is because she is still small, she very indignantly reminds me that she is a big girl, and very big one, she just has small hands and feet. My favorite new Mia speak though has to be her new over-use of the letter L. She hasn't been able to say them until recently, so everything with an R or L was pronounced with a W, as were words that actually have a W (so there was cwoss (cross) wetter (letter) and fwing (swing). Now however, the L has taken the its rightful place in L words, but it has also taken over everywhere the W used to be, so in the place of Rs and Ws there is now also an L. To use the same words for examples, what was cwoss is now closs, what was wetter is letter, and fwing is sling. On our jog she told Rex he was all 'sleaty' and while having fun on slide she exclaims, "Lee!" It is really really funny, and just as difficult to understand than when everything was a W! Eleanor has just starting grabbing things, i.e. Mia's hair, and she is really starting to interact so sweetly with her sister. She is facinated by Mia and watches her in open mouth smiling amazement most of the time. I didnt' catch it on film but yesterday while Eleanor was sitting in the stroller while I cooked dinner Mia was showing her the dyes to color eggs with and telling her, "Now look Eleanor, this is red, and this is blue, this is green and this is yellow. See?" What a sweet big sister! Finally for the day, we had a friend come to play today who is the son of our doula. She is in training to become a midwife, and I love visiting with her and hearing of all of the birth stories that she is a part of, and the amazing things that she witnesses. The most recent one she attended was a little bitty gal, under 5 feet who had a c-section with her first baby who was 8 lbs because the doctor said her pelvis was just too narrow and she would never be able to deliver him. This second time around she delivered a 10 pound baby at home naturally with Brielle and two other midwives helping, and a week later the baby is already up to 11 pounds! It is so encouraging to hear stories of strong women who laugh in the face of nay-sayers and are empowered by trusting their bodies to do what God so creatively designed them to do! Anyhow, her little boy Sage is a cutie, and I captured some of their conversation on video. It is quite funny!
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
A bunch of stuff
I have some random things to talk about, so here goes. First of all, I have to brag about our latest trash to treasure find. My friend at mom's group laughs at me for all of the things I buy at goodwill, but seriously, I get just as much satisfaction at my new clothes if they are used, and Mia does too, so that is just where we shop. Anyhow, even better than second hand cheap is second hand free, and that is exactly what we found one of those blue baby little tykes swings for. It is bulk collection week here in Austin so everyone has there big trash that they have been saving in their garage or yard out by the street. It is the perfect time to drive around trash shopping, but going for a jog makes it less conspicuous. So anyhow, we were jogging by and saw this great swing out by the street, so we picked it up and balanced it in the stroller for the jog home, and now we have a baby swing! and I was just thinking about buying one, but they are $25 at Walmart and we are trying to not buy anything retail this month. Yippie! Let's see, funny Mia conversation of the week: we are in the car and she is asking why about everything she sees, which is normal, but then we start asking the whys of anatomy which is quite fun. So her questions were, "Why we are so bendy?" "Why we have skin?" "Why we have teeth?" "Why we have tongues?" (to which I responded, to talk, but then she thinks and says, "but Eleanor has a tongue. why she cannot talk?"), then we have the "why my hands are still so small but I am so big?" and "Why my feet are so small too?" questions which I just love. If I respond that it is because she is still small, she very indignantly reminds me that she is a big girl, and very big one, she just has small hands and feet. My favorite new Mia speak though has to be her new over-use of the letter L. She hasn't been able to say them until recently, so everything with an R or L was pronounced with a W, as were words that actually have a W (so there was cwoss (cross) wetter (letter) and fwing (swing). Now however, the L has taken the its rightful place in L words, but it has also taken over everywhere the W used to be, so in the place of Rs and Ws there is now also an L. To use the same words for examples, what was cwoss is now closs, what was wetter is letter, and fwing is sling. On our jog she told Rex he was all 'sleaty' and while having fun on slide she exclaims, "Lee!" It is really really funny, and just as difficult to understand than when everything was a W! Eleanor has just starting grabbing things, i.e. Mia's hair, and she is really starting to interact so sweetly with her sister. She is facinated by Mia and watches her in open mouth smiling amazement most of the time. I didnt' catch it on film but yesterday while Eleanor was sitting in the stroller while I cooked dinner Mia was showing her the dyes to color eggs with and telling her, "Now look Eleanor, this is red, and this is blue, this is green and this is yellow. See?" What a sweet big sister! Finally for the day, we had a friend come to play today who is the son of our doula. She is in training to become a midwife, and I love visiting with her and hearing of all of the birth stories that she is a part of, and the amazing things that she witnesses. The most recent one she attended was a little bitty gal, under 5 feet who had a c-section with her first baby who was 8 lbs because the doctor said her pelvis was just too narrow and she would never be able to deliver him. This second time around she delivered a 10 pound baby at home naturally with Brielle and two other midwives helping, and a week later the baby is already up to 11 pounds! It is so encouraging to hear stories of strong women who laugh in the face of nay-sayers and are empowered by trusting their bodies to do what God so creatively designed them to do! Anyhow, her little boy Sage is a cutie, and I captured some of their conversation on video. It is quite funny!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
cute cute cute! howd you get that moon bounce in your yard?! i wanna come over and squeeze those cute babies again. I think Eleanor looks like rex in these latest photos! very cute!
Um- you have a bouncy castle in your backyard?!? I was hoping to hear a story about that... cause that's awesome! Congrats to Mia on her "L"s... too funny- again I love Mia speak and look so forward to reading it- it brightens my mornings!
am i the friend from mom's group that makes fun of you for buying things at good will??? :). i'm just jealous that you actually find things there.
Post a Comment