Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2 weeks old!

Actually tomorrow she'll be three weeks... crazy how I was just complaining about being pregnant forever and now I have this living, breathing, beautiful, amazing creature that keeps me up all of the time, and is now cozy and nestled against me in the Moby wrap (thank you Jenny!) snoring away. Nothing is cuter I tell ya than hearing the tiny little snores of a three week old cuddled next to your chest.

At her two week check up she weighed 8 lbs 13 oz (born at 7 lbs 11 oz, but dropped to 7 even on her 2 day check up) and has grown a whole inch, so is 20 1/4 inches long. She had a goopy blocked tear duct that has since cleared up, and thankfully her belly button finally fell off. I say thankfully because I wasn't able to use my big collection of one-size cloth diapers because they came up too high on her belly and were keeping her cord too wet. I finally started putting this herb on it called Goldenseal that my friend Darby's midwife gave her and it came off in 2 days. Another great relief in it being gone is that due to the cloth diapers coming up too high, I stuck her in Pampers so I could fold them down, and in 2 days she had a terrible rash all over, that looks so painful! We bought some of the chlorine free 7th generation diapers for night and were using the smallest cloth ones I had during the day, and in a matter of days again the rash was gone. Amazing! I remember Mia having a horrible rash when she was little and me thinking there was nothing that could be done, after all Pampers were the best because they were the most expensive, right? Well, they are really good at absorbing, but all those chemicals that make them hold gallons of baby t-t also irritate the mess out of their little bottoms! Who knew? Mia is still loving her sister, always wanting to hold her and kiss her and love on her, and wear their matching jammies... she is such a good big sister, just like we knew she would be! Eleanor is staying awake for longer and longer times which is so much fun, and is actually looking at us now. I look down sometimes and she is just staring at me, studying away. It is so amazing. How is it that they come out so tiny, knowing nothing except the desire for milk and warmth, and how much more amazing that I alone can provide both of those, her only needs. Well, I thought I had more time to write, but the taller of the short ones is demanding that I feed her, and unfortunately I still have to meet all of those needs too! : ) Kidding, I love it, even though the demands are now far more specific. I am quite the short order cook it seems! More later!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

YES... I have TWO girls now that have horribly sensitive skin. Sariyah's was so hard to manage at first, but now feel like I am a pro at it for Ky- the entire area that was covered by a regular diaper was just beat red as can be! I was actually upset because I was thinking "HOW can she have a diaper rash coming home from the hospital?!?!". It's amazing what a difference the bleach-free, natural diapers make. And my wonderful mom just ordered a pack of small cloth diapers for her (Riyah's are too big for a tiny new baby). It just makes you think about what is in those diapers causing such irritation. I would suggest EVERY mommy use eco-friendly, natural diapers. We don't get the 7th generation diapers, but use Nature's Choice that I can buy at HEB and they are great... and have made SUCH the difference with Riyah's very, very sensitive skin. So glad you are getting all these things worked out. I'm afriad that Ky may have skin issues like Sariyah, but like I told Ky the other night, "If you're going to have skin issues, then you are in the right home!". We're talking special detergent, special crib sheets, diapers... the whole works! But once you get everything sorted out, it's all a breeze!

Jami said...

Three weeks! Tell me it ain't so!