Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Always Mrs. Right

Rex and I went to a marriage seminar a couple of weeks before we got married, and while we both found it quite "sobering" (his words) there were a couple of pretty cool things we took away from it. One of the speakers was talking about after a decade of marriage one spouse deciding that the other is no longer right for them, that they have grown apart or whatever. The speaker posited that no, this is not the case; unrepented sin and pride, a lack of appreciation, all of those things can drive a spouse away from the other, but that if they were once right for you that they always will be. A husband or wife if God's provision for you, what He has given to you to grow you, make you stonger, sanctify you, and this does not start out as one person and then a decade later become another. All of this to say that I wonder if it is not the same on some level for friends.... not to say that we don't meet new friends and create new bonds with people along the way, but if people were once right for you to be your friends, maybe they always have been and always will be.

Last night for a New Year's Eve party, we decided to forgo the cover charges, drunk drivers and itchy clothes for an early kid friendly version of the celebration with some friends. I have been friends with Kristi and Anna since we were in junior high, although we lost touch for a very long time. We are all older, and wonderfully all have children who can run around crazy together and fight over toys, watch the Car Movie together and play with this crazy train that I bought that somehow doesn't quite work like it did in the mall kiosk... it was so wonderful to get to spend time with them, and I feel so blessed that we all live close to each other after all of these years and are all stay at home moms and can get together for "play dates." The fourth one of us, our sweet Jenny is quite a distance away, but of course she was here is spirit, and was a part of many of the funny "remember when" stories that were going on... I used to have fond memories of how we were once all inseperable, but I realize now that "were once" is quite incorrect, and "always will be" is a much more accurate description. It was so much fun, and I hope that we have many more years of days like yesterday. Love you guys....

2 comments:

The Bittles said...

Well said Jen! Well said.

Jenny said...

Oh gosh, sniff sniff, I couldn't agree more! It is so much fun just for me to imagine you guys all together with your kiddos--I can't even imagine getting to be part of it. Joyous will be that day:) Love you friend, Jenny