Saturday, April 11, 2009
This week of Easter
We started our Easter celebrations earlier this week by making cookies for our neighbors. There are seven houses on our street, so we baked a bunch of sugar cookies and Mia decorated them (i.e. put huge blobs of gel icing on some, put funny smiley faces on some, and sprinkles on some before I caught her sucking on the end of the icing tube and we couldn't decorate any more). She loves the 'backward trick or treating' that we did, walking house to house with our basket full of cookies leaving them on our neighbors' front doors. She thought is was so much fun, and I thought it was nice to show her how much fun it can be to give to people, not just to always be getting things during holiday times.
Speaking of getting, this leads us to the Easter bunny and all that type of stuff. We did hide eggs and let her run around and find them Saturday morning, and our church had this huge city wide egg hunt at the park with like 4000 eggs that were all over the place that we went to, but you know, she is just too smart to be tricked by silly things like that. I told her she was too smart to play pretend with because she always knows the truth. Her question to me was, "Is the Easter bunny not real? Does he not do naughty things to people?" I didn't really know where to go with that question, so I just turned it around and asked her if she thought the bunny was real. She thought about it for a minute and didn't really answer, but I don't think this will be something we continue for long. It is fun and all, but she is already like, yeah, bunny, right, nudge nudge. It is quite fine with me though... I'm not a big one for making up stories and tricking the kiddos, I don't have a problem with it, I'm just not good at it! It takes a lot of forethought and creativity to put together holiday schemes and I don't have a talent for either of those really. Besides, I have no idea how to reconcile the bunny with the celebration of Christ's resurrection, which is the message that I would much rather her understand. On our way out for our walk on Thursday she patted Eleanor and said, "Its ok Ella, when you die you will go to Heaven and then you will come back to life and see Jesus!"

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I'll be the first to say - Awesome Bumbo picture! Also, mia looks cute in her apron and very serious about her work. It was nice to hang out today! Happy Easter.
Mia is adorable, I really love the photo of smelleanor.
Jennifer, I am so proud of you. You are making a wonderful mom... Jesus makes our lives full of joy and I am so thankful to know that you and Rex are teaching the girls that which is important in life. The girls are so beautiful... those pictures make me want to hug them so much.
Chubby Cheekers is a hoot in the bumbo, and My Mia is just too smart and sweet for her own good. Hope to see you girls soon!
I know I'm a little late on this comment, but I just have to say "way to go Jennifer!". Keep up the good work in raising your little girls to love and follow Jesus...keep up the good work. It's an encouragement to the rest of us who are trying to do the same. Love ya.
Post a Comment