Monday, April 7, 2008

AND...

Today at the Doctor's office, he said quite firmly that Mia was too old to have pacies any more and that it would hurt her teeth and I should take them away from immediately. She literally curled up in the fetal position on the floor just staring at me like she had witnessed a horrific crime, wide eyes red and full of tears, some rocking back and forth and perhaps some shaking. It was really sad. We had a long talk about how the doctor was really right, that only babies should have pacies, and that she was a big girl now so we should find some babies to pass them along to. Then I remembered how when Catherine was 2 or so she threw all of her pacies and bottles over the fence to the baby cows, so I asked Mia if she would like to give her pacies to the baby cows at Daddy's house. She thought it was a great idea and has been really excited about it all day. She even handed me the pacies out of her bed when she got in it so we could practice sleeping without them for when we give them to the cows. Then, realization hit her. The saddest cries of withdraw have been coming from her room, but she doesn't want me to rock her or sing, she is just sad. Sad sad day, first of many without pink pacies.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Awww- poor Mia. Growing up is hard to do! I still can't believe that Sam and Amelia just quit taking their binkies at about 4 months (adjusted age). I thought Sam would be sucking on his until he was a teenager:) Now, taking their nursing sessions away might be a another story, but if our doctor tells us to do that any time soon we really will find another one:) Love ya and hope the wails of sadness don't last too long:( It just breaks your heart doesn't it? Jen

catherine said...

that's one of the saddest things that we have on home video (who knows why...)
but mom is laughing through the whole thing.

Poor Mia.

Jami said...

I was not laughing in that video! You have confused yourself......I was ENCOURAGING, not laughing. I was probably trying to make you see the FUN in the possibilities!

I remember the sad when the nursing stopped. Sad for me and sad for my babies.

Dr.'s don't always know everything, just ask Jenny!

BUT>>>>>>>>>>I support your decision, I just don't want to hear the sadness!

The Bittles said...

Hudson only gets his paci when he is in bed (or at Grandma's). This morning I heard a great amount of grunting and fussing only to find him trying to climb into his bed for his beloved paci. I put him in and he sat happily playing for over an hour! He must have really wanted some paci time! I'm sure when the time comes for us it won't be fun either...love ya and thanks for the updates!!!

Brigitte said...

Oh that breaks my heart. I am glad I'm not around her. I'd give it back... I still remember wearing mine on ribbons around my neck. Obviously, I had mine well past Mia's age.